- Anthony Williams, Just Software Solutions Ltd, Tired of waiting for the upcoming C++ standard (C++0x)’s support of multithreading and concurrency? Just Software Solutions’ just::thread library is an implementation of the C++0x thread library for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and g++. V1.3 introduces support for the new std::async function for launching asynchronous tasks, support for 64-bit Windows and support for g++ 4.4..
- There’s more than one way to create a startup: my friend Tsutomu Kodama in Japan has launched a site for non-Japanese who want to get to see the real Japan at Kotodamaya.com. If you’re thinking about broadening your horizons in 2010 by visiting a really different country than what you’re used to in the US or EU, check out this site. (I hope this clown’s picture doesn’t scare away visitors!)
Interesting Answers.Onstartups.com questions with useful answers:
- LAMP Deployment dilemma. Cloud or Dedicated?
- How to become more of a risk-taker?
- I created a software product. How and where do I promote it?
- What’s your title in your little startup?
- How do you record your project progress, to do lists, requirements etc
News/posts for microISVs and Startups:
- Oh, that’s what Twitter lists are for! @balsamiq/essential-startup-tools. And yes, you should be reading the Balsamiq blog: any microISV/startup that made in 2009 gross gevenue: $1,626,528.93, and shares how they did it is a blog you should follow.
- Five Early-Stage Alternatives to the Traditional Investment Model of Growing Startups. (from July 2009, but still a good list)
- I’m biting my nails waiting for my iPhone App to be approved. Here’s what it will look like, thanks to AppMakr. I have at least some company: Morten Jacobsen talks about his new AppMakr-made app. Don’t like AppMakr? Check out iSites Will Let Publishers Simultaneously Build Apps For iPhone And Android. The more interesting ways you can reach out to your market, the better!
- Online Calendar Management Roundup: How Do You Plan Your Days?
StartupToDo.com, The Startup Success Podcast and other plugs:
- Two new Guides (so far!) at StartupToDo.com this week:
- Copy protection of desktop software.
- Handling subscription e-commerce with Amazon Payments – the Business Viewpoint.
- Show #52 of the Startup Success Podcast is up: [link] [iTunes].Bob and Pat talk again with entrepreneur and Silicon Valley consultant Sramana Mitra, this time about her newest book, Positioning: How To Test, Validate, And Bring Your Idea To Market. This is the third volume in Sramana’s Entrepreneur Journeys series. This was a fascinating interview that sliced through the what do I build – how do I find my market conundrum. Pat and Bob also talked a little bit about how Pat is positioning his new microISV, Spackle Software.
- Sramana did a guest post here that’s must reading if you stuck because you don’t know the right questions to be asking to define your startup: Clarify your story.
- Sramana offers free weekly strategy roundtables for entrepreneurs to address positioning, financing, and other aspects of a startup venture. Up to 1,000 people can attend each session, but only the first five who register to pitch will be able to present their business ideas. All attendees are able to join in on the conversations via a live chat.
(If you have an announcement of interest to your fellow microISV, indies or startups, please email me at email@example.com with the word digest in the subject.)