Guy Kawasaki’s latest post on the Art of Bootstrapping is such good advice, every micro-ISV should print it and read it until they know it by heart.
Here’s the bullet point version, just to whet you appetite so you go read Guy’s post:
- Focus on cash flow, not profitability.
- Forecast from the bottom up.
- Ship, then test.
- Forget the proven team.
- Start as a service business.
- Focus on function, not form [in what you buy].
- Pick your battles.
- Go direct.
- Position against the leader.
- Take the “red pill.”
I’d add a #12: Pick carefully your place on the Long Tail. That is, find, define and be relevant to an unmet need out there that can be Googled with a few keywords.