- Mike Schoeffler, roadbud.com: the right three words could win you a top-of-the-line iPhone. Mike is running a contest to find a great tagline for his new iPhone app coming out March 1st – details here.
- David Christian, Bright Spark Software, SimpleGlucose is trying an experiment, switching to the ‘freemium’ model: membership is now free with Google Adwords ads in the main members area, later diabetic specific companies (such as manufacturers of blood glucose meters). What do you think?
- Marcus McConnel, bvsoftware, has released a major upgrade to his hosted shopping cart platform. They have a free store plan for up to 10 products which might be of interest to some of you. Marcus is presently working on adding electronic download functionality for MicroISVs looking for inexpensive tools to sell digital goods.
- Wayne Allen, devZing.com, has released devZing.com, a software project management hosting solution where we deploy and manage the software and hardware and you make your product better. They call it “No Hassle Project Management Hosting”. Currently they provide Bugzilla and MantisBT with TikiWiki coming soon.
Interesting Answers.Onstartups.com questions with useful answers:
- What is the best free seo rank checker tool?
- How to request a review from bloggers?
News/posts for microISVs and Startups:
- Adam Goucher spotted this guest post by one of my favorite new startup bloggers, Ash Maurya, a lean entrepreneur who runs a bootstrapped startup called CloudFire: My experiments in lean pricing.
- And speaking of Ash Maurya, Customer Development Checklist for My Web Startup – Part 1 and Customer Development Checklist for My Web Startup – Part 2.
- A video worth watching from Women 2.0 in Conversation: Maria Ly Makes the Climb.
- Must see TV for startups and microISVS: Seth Godin: Quieting the Lizard Brain.
- A thoughtful post: In the Future We’ll All Have Online Reputation Scores. Punchline and software opportunity: “In a world where individuals emerge as important sources of information, products and services, people will need a way to break through the limited knowledge they’ll have on any one person. Look for online reputations to emerge as a way to fill that gap.”
- The blurring distinction between graphic design and software development. Great, relevant post on Pietro Polsinelli’s blog.
StartupToDo.com, The Startup Success Podcast and other plugs:
- Three new Guides at StartupToDo.com:
- Google Adwords for the Startup: High Level Overview by Ben Wootton
- Google Adwords for the Startup: Increasing Adwords ROI by Ben Wootton
- Rekindling your Motivation.
- Show #57 of the Startup Success Podcast is up: [link] [iTunes]. A very special interview with author and marketing authority Seth Godin on how startups can succeed in a world where fitting in doesn’t work anymore. Seth is the author of a dozen bestselling books including Purple Cow, Tribes, Permission Marketing and most recently and perhaps most importantly, Linchpin.In this interview Bob and Pat have the opportunity to ask Seth how Linchpin applies to startups, the IT industry, what art means to developers, what keeps you from shipping, what Ayn Rand would say and succeeding in this post-industrial world. And, we get to several of the questions you asked us to ask.
- Show #56 of the Startup Success Podcast: [link] [iTunes]. Bob and Pat interview Carl Erickson, President of Atomic Object, on the importance of testing regardless of platform, how to outsource startup development, applying Agile techniques – pair programming and standup meetings – to startup development, why programming deathmarches are a bad idea and more.
(If you have an announcement of interest to your fellow microISV, indies or startups, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the word digest in the subject.)